Sunday, November 2, 2008

Fall leaves....

This weekend we helped some of our best friends, Shane and Ashley Pitcher, move into their first home. It was great to spend time with them and to finally see there new baby Emmalee, who was also blessed on Sunday afternoon.

Well after everything was all moved in I stayed to help start getting things put in order. I ended up sitting on the couch with Tressa for a minute who fell asleep on my lap, so I just stayed their for a while. Shane was busy setting up his surround sound (always the first thing needed in a home I guess) and Josie and Aspen were back playing in the newly formed nursery. Josie walked in after a little while and told Shane "you have got to come see what Aspen is doing." Not the first thing you want to hear so Shane took off to see what was going on. He came back a second later with a plastic cup that had bright orange paint in it, that I recognized from seeing it earlier on the bathroom counter (it had a little bit of paint still in the bottom of it). And the rest of the story came from him...

He had gone into see what Aspen was doing and there on the cream colored carpet in front of her is a pile of green leaves painted orange (the same color as the paint in the cup) from the Aspen tree out front that is starting to change colors. And Shane being a lot calmer and nicer than me just crouched down and asked "what are you doing sweetheart". So she looked at him and simply stated "these leaves hadn't been painted yet" with a look that finished the explanation with -so I am helping them-. He said he couldn't be mad after that.

As it turns out he didn't need to be mad anyways. When he picked up the pile of painted leaves there were only a few tiny dots of paint on the carpet, which came out easily with a wet sponge. I am glad he was the one to go back though because I am sure I would have been mad, but I wish I had been there to hear her simple explanation of needing to help the leaves change colors. Kids have the cutest ideas about the world. I just want to know who she thinks usually paints all the leaves.

3 comments:

Krista said...

that is the cutest story... I love it!

Verna said...

Aspen, Thank you for reminding me of how wonderful and important it is to have the leaves painted each year, especially in a way that gave me a good laugh. Love, Grandma

susan said...

It was times like this that made me realize that getting mad didn't always solve things. Thank you for sharing the innocence of little girls. Love, granda hunt